Got lost in the fog.... (Week 5)
Let’s talk about IoT devices!
This is more of a reflection of sorts, and what I consider
the relationship of IoT and Cloud computing. I would describe IoT as a device
that collects the data and the cloud is what processes/analyzes it.
Interestingly, I briefly read an article from Network World (https://www.networkworld.com/article/964415/how-will-the-cloud-be-able-to-handle-the-emergence-of-iot.html).
Now, I vaguely remember earlier in my college journey hearing about fog
computing. I use the word ‘vaguely’ primarily because college students ingest a
LOT of information. Or is it ‘you learn a little about a lot’ a more accurate
representation?
Anyway, that aside, the concept of IoT and the cloud stays
the same. However, what intrigued me was
that fog computing is what sits between the two, and it processes an IoTs raw
data in real time.
Naturally, I questioned: does that mean IoT would longer
need cloud computing? On the contrary, it’s still needed. The cloud still
stores information long term, and fog computing analyzes data at a much quicker
rate closer to the source of where the data was collected. Which makes sense as
to why the article pointed out the smart/self-driving cars.
Sometimes, it’s nice to get a refresher on something that
was briefly or previous touched on earlier in your learning journey, or even
expand on something that is new to you in the moment!
Comments
Post a Comment